In January, Network for Animals was given a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity to fill the bellies of thousands of starving street dogs in South Africa at a greatly reduced cost. A dog-food truck had overturned, and because of an outstanding insurance claim, the food had never been sent to its intended retailers. The warehouse where it was being stored needed the space back and was thus selling it at significantly lower-than-normal cost.
We jumped at the chance to purchase the food, but we knew we’d need your help. We reached out to our loyal supporters and your response was overwhelming!
Thanks to your generosity, we were able to purchase over 30 tons of desperately-needed dog food for nearly 3,000 dogs, and distribute it to these incredibly worthy organizations across the country:
- 520 kg to Help a Paw in the impoverished area of Macassar, Cape Town, which feeds over 400 dogs. “So amazing! Thank you, thank you!” – Gigi Roper, volunteer.
- 5 tons to Fur-Get-Me-Knot, which feeds 450 dogs in Westlake Township, Cape Town. “That is absolutely awesome! This will feed our dogs for a whole year! Thank you very much; I really do appreciate it.” – Julie Marzio, chairperson.
- 7 tons to TEARS, which feeds 300 street dogs. “That is truly amazing and awesome. We are so grateful, thank you so much!” – Mandy Store, operations manager.
- 2 tons to African Tails, which feeds 300 unwanted, neglected dogs. “This is so amazing, thank you for organizing this!” – Lauren van Vuuren, social media and fundraising.
- 3 tons of food to Mdzananda Animal Clinic, which feeds 100 dogs in the poverty-stricken township of Khayelitsha. “We received the glorious donation of food, and we can’t thank you enough!” – Heidi May, general manager.
- 3 tons to Lucky Lucy Foundation, which feeds 170 dogs. “Thank you will never be enough to say how grateful we are for this absolutely amazing donation. THANK YOU so, so, so, so very much!” – Patrys Niemand, board member.
- 2 tons to Shaygam Newman for feeding 29 dogs in the rural area of Hangberg near Hout Bay. “Bless you and thank you very much for everything.”
- 3 tons of dog food to Helderberg Animal Rescue Team (HART), which feeds 300 dogs. “Thank you so much for your call, I’m still shaking! You cannot know how grateful and excited we are!” – Louise Spagnuolo, chairperson.
- 5 tons of dog food to our team in the poor farming town of Calvinia, for feeding 700 dogs. “Thank you so much for all the food you have donated to us. It is much appreciated!” – our team on the ground.
- Enough food to feed the 209 unwanted street dogs at Fallen Angels in Melkbosstrand.